The Toyota Production System – also known as TPS – is an organisational culture that consists of three key elements:
1) Toyota’s Philosophy
Toyota’s philosophy includes:
- Customer First: Provide customers with what they want, when they want it and in the amount they want it.
- People are the Most Valuable Resource: Deeply respect, engage and develop people.
- Continuous Improvement: Engage everyone each and every day.
- Shop Floor Focus: Go to where the work is done to find and solve problems.
2) TPS Tools & Practices
Use appropriate TPS Tools and Practices to achieve:
- Just-in-Time production practices.
- Built-in Quality (Jidoka) to expose roadblocks to improving safety, quality, cost and lead time.
3) Managerial Role
- Leaders inspire and develop people to surface and solve problems to improve performance.